Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bones, Blood and Bodies

Have you ever watched or read something that is really scary, even though you know it's really fake?

I really like Bones, and The Walking Dead. Last night I watched The Watchmen. But there are parts my mom and dad wouldn't let me see. I thought that wasn't fair and talked to my mom about it. She said she wouldn't have let me watch the movie at all. That made me feel a lot better.

I like scary stories, but sometimes, even when I know it's fake, I get caught up in it and I feel like stuff is really happening. Recently me and my mom were watching an episode of Bones where they were doing an autopsy on a severed head and they didn't follow protocols. Cam ended up poisoned by something a serial killer put in the head. The worst part was the severed head was from the serial killer's wife.

Now, I once day dreamed that I was pulled out of school and put in the part of a murder victim on Bones. They brought in the killer for me to meet. They took scans of my body to make fake bones and let me watch them put cuts and bruises and all that on the fake body to make it look like I'd been pretty beaten up. I know it's pretend. But I still got caught up in Cam nearly dying.

I've even seen episodes AFTER this one that she's in, and I still really thought she was going to die.

Sometimes I feel like I'm bigger than I really am. I think I can handle this stuff. I talked my mom into letting me read Moon Called by Patricia Briggs about Mercy Thompson. Today in the car we listened to part of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Sometimes it's hard to listen when Mom and Dad say that something is just too grown up for me. After all I do like to talk about things that other kids my age won't understand (or care about).

I think it's actually good that I got so caught up in that episode of Bones. It means I was emotionally invested (mom taught me that term) in the story. The details really screamed out to me. But maybe it's because I get so emotionally invested that Mom and Dad tell me to stop watching for a little bit.

I think other kids my age might not understand it like I do. Maybe it could emotionally hurt them because they could get into it and think will that happen to me when I grow up? But for older kids and kids who understand what's going on they might think the only really scary thing is the clothing!

I think it's a good thing that I have a mom and dad there to tell me yes you can watch/read this or no, you can't watch/read this. Even if I get frustrated, I still trust that they know what's best for me. Now if I could only talk mom and dad into letting me read one of mom's books...

No comments:

Post a Comment